The first official day of spring was Sunday, March 20. With warm weather right around the corner, what better time to pick up the outdoor hobby of cycling? My City Bikes is working with local business Outspokin’ Bicycles on Devine Street to help those who have decided to do just that. My City Bikes is a popular app and works to encourage and empower individuals to improve their health by simply pedaling a bike through their local community. Through the creation of the Columbia Bikes smartphone app, Outspokin’ Bicycles and My City Bikes are empowering new cyclists and helping them find need-to-know paths, new routes, plus safety and maintenance information.
Columbia Bikes is a community resource for residents and visitors, helping cyclists find local routes for commuter biking, road biking, mountain biking and sightseeing in and around Columbia. The app helps users learn the basics of bike maintenance, connect with experts at Outspokin’ Bicycles and understand the difference between road, mountain, commuter and cruiser bikes. Features of the Columbia Bikes app include:
• Family Bike Rides: This feature informs users of helpful rules and hints for biking with a family and offers information about different types of bikes and bike features such as the child seat, trailer, balance bike, tricycle, training wheels and two wheelers. It also includes family friendly bike paths.
• Kids on a Roll: This feature gives tips for little bikers such as wearing a helmet, staying close to home, biking with a buddy and riding on the right side of the road.
• Road and Commuter: This section talks about safety and how to find the perfect bike for road and transit riding. It also includes a video on how to bike in the city and two traffic-free trails.
• Mountain and Trail: This part of the app provides details on safety for off-road biking, how to find the perfect mountain bike and preparations for trail rides. This portion of the app also lists local trails for mountain bikers.
• Group Rides: This section lists safety tips and group ride etiquette as well as information on days that group rides take place in Columbia.
• Bike Maintenance: This section of the app gives DIY bike care tips and detailed “how-to” videos for inflating bike tires, cleaning a bike chain, adjusting a bike seat and changing a bike tire.
• Hot and Cold: This section tells users how much water they should be drinking before a ride and during a ride depending on the current temperature. It also gives tips on how to be safe and comfortable in any weather condition.
So whether you’ve decided to take up commuter biking, mountain biking, recreational biking or biking with the whole family this spring, be sure to download Columbia Bikes for tips, tricks and helpful hints for riding.