As we enjoy celebrating the 25th anniversary of Columbia Metropolitan, our staff continues to put together lists of our “Top 25” covering various topics. For this issue, we’ve selected the most defining moments in the history of our Capital City.
1. Establishment as a city and as the capital, 1786
It was the first city in America to hold the name of “Columbia” of at least 19 that are now in existence.
2. George Washington’s visit, 1791
3. Founding of USC, 1801
4. Building of Robert Mills House, commissioned in 1823 by Sarah and Ainsley Hall
5. First Gervais Street Bridge built, 1827
6. Governor’s Mansion built, 1855
Originally the officers’ barracks for the Arsenal Military Academy, it was the only school building to survive Sherman’s burning 10 years later. It was established as the home of South Carolina’s Chief Executive Officers in 1868 by Governor James Orr.
7. The South Carolina Secession Convention begins at First Baptist Church, 1860
8. Town of Lexington established, 1861
Lexington County was named in 1785 after the Revolutionary War Battles of Lexington and Concord in Massachusetts.
9. Gen. Sherman’s burning of Columbia, 1865
10. The Constitution of 1868
Established public education in South Carolina.
11. Woodrow Wilson moves to Columbia at age 14 with his family, 1870
12. Irmo chartered, 1890
The town was named by combining the first two letters of the names of two railroad company men, C.J. Iredell and H.C. Moseley.
13. Establishment of Ft. Jackson, 1917
14. The Lake Murray dam completed, 1930
At the time, it was the largest earthen dam in the world.
15. The Doolittle Raiders transfer to Columbia for training, 1942
16. First art collection displayed in the Columbia Museum of Art, 1950
17. Public school desegregation, 1963
18. Establishment of Riverbanks Zoo, 1974
19. George Rogers, a tailback for USC, wins the Heisman Trophy, 1980
20. Hootie & the Blowfish formed at USC, 1986
21. Pope John Paul II visits Columbia, 1987
22. Opening of the South Carolina State Museum, 1988
23. Hurricane Hugo, 1989
24. Establishment of the Congaree National Park, 2003
25. USC Baseball wins their 1st and 2nd National Championship, 2010, 2011